Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 272 - Ropley

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 271) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 271) Next page (Volume 6, Page 273) Next page (Volume 6, Page 273)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House and Barn
The Malthouse. Swelling Hill. Part C.16, part C.18, with late C.19 extension. Timber-framed walls revealed in recent restoration. Attractive Regency windows. Tiled roof. Large barn with good roof timbers.     SU 656 326
1615 40
Cottage
Smugglers Cottage, Smugglers Lane. Colour- washed brick structure. Thatched roof.     SU 659 310
1615 45
Cottage
Old Down Cottage, Swelling Hill. Red brick with blue headers on first floor, flint panels on ground floor. Ridge thatched roof. Modern extension, also thatched.     SU 660 328
1615 41
Cottages (5)
Nos. 1-5, Church Cottages, Church Street. An uneven-terrace row of 2-storey cottages. No. 1, probably rebuilt, flint structure with brick dressings, and slate roof. Nos. 2 and 3, lower construction than No. 1, flint structure with brick surrounds to lattice paned windows. No. 4, brick structure with higher slate roof. No. 5, is of brick structure of more recent construction.     C.A.
SU 645 319
1615 62
Cottages (3)
Nos. 1, 2 and 3, Sunnyside Cottages, Lyeway Lane. Three non-terraced cottages of 2 storeys. Tiled roof, half-hipped at No. 1 and hipped at No. 3. Modern additions to the rear of all cottages and to the side of No. 3. All have modern porches in different styles. No. 1 is partly tile-hung, partly colourwashed. 6-paned casement windows with wooden glazing bars. No. 2, Five Bells, colourwashed with windows matching No. 1. No. 3, brick structure. One square lattice window in upper storey, other windows of the vertical sash type.     C.A.
SU 647 319
1615 60
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
House
C.18
Ropley House. Home of John Duthy, author of 'Sketches of Hampshire' (1839). Reputed smugglers' passage in grounds, used in C.18 when Ropley Woods and various houses were used as hiding places for goods brought up from Portsmouth. O.S.A. No. SU63 SW(M). Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.489.     T. & C. P. Act
SU 636 319
1615 06
Cottage
Archibishops Cottage, Lyeway Lane. Name derived from Archbishop Howley, son of a rector of Ropley who was fostered by a woman living in the cottage. Howley succeeded his father as Vicar of Bishop Sutton and Ropley from 1796-1813. Later he became Bishop of London and from 1828-48 was Archbishop of Canterbury.     C.A.
SU 647 319
1615 18
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 271) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 271) Next page (Volume 6, Page 273) Next page (Volume 6, Page 273)