Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 279 - Rowlands Castle

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 278) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 278) Next page (Volume 6, Page 280) Next page (Volume 6, Page 280)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.18/19
Finchdean House, Finchdean. 2 storeys. Plaster faced and colourwashed brick with slate roof. Sash windows and bay windows on ground floor. Door has flat hood on brackets. Single-storey wing to northeast.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 738 127
2312 15
Cottage
C.19
No. 9, Dean Lane End Cottages. 2 storeys. Whitened brick with flat pitched hipped slate roof. Small paned casement windows.     T. & C.P. Act
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 730 121
2312 41
House
C.19
Idsworth House. Built in 1852, with additions 1912-14 by Goodhurst-Rendel. 2 storeys and attics. Neo-Jacobean style. Front of seven bays with tower to left. Brick structure with stone quoins and dressings. Steeply pitched coped gables with small finials and half dormers. Double pitched slate roof with many chimneys. Jacobean style porte cochere and entrance hall. Sash windows with glazing bars. Mullioned and transomed windows to entrance hall. Large single storey library at rear, with canted bay.     T. & C. P. Act
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 729 130
2312 40
House
C.19
The Limes, Finchdean. 2 storeys. Front of plaster faced flint. Rear of flint with brick dressings. Double hipped slate roof. Sash and casement windows with glazing bars. Later porch with slate roof.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 738 127
2312 05
House
C.19
Redhill House, Manor Lodge Road. 2 storeys. Red brick structure incorporating blue-grey headers. Hipped tiled roof with brick chimneys. Full height square window bay to right of entrance. Later C.19 sash windows. Glazed central door.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 725 101
2312 54
Coach House
C.19
Situated to the west of Redhill House. 2 storeys. Brick with flint panels. Tiled roof. Two windows one sash and one casement. Boarded double door surmounted by segmental arch.     T. & C. P. Act
SU 725 101
2312 55
Granary
C.19
Situated to the east of Redhill House. 2 storeys. Brick structure. Base rests on brick arches. Low pitched pyramidal tiled roof. One wide bay. Wooden steps to boarded double door. Similar loading door above.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 725 101
2312 55A
Church
C.19
St. John. Originally a cruciform church of about 1838. Aisles added and chancel rebuilt 1853. Intricate pattern of pine roof timbers with slate roof. Carved heads in spandrels of arcades. The church was extended by two arches towards the west end, and completed in 1929. Choir and vestry placed on northwest corner. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.490.     SU 725 100
2312 47
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 278) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 278) Next page (Volume 6, Page 280) Next page (Volume 6, Page 280)