Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 294 - Selborne

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 293) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 293) Next page (Volume 6, Page 295) Next page (Volume 6, Page 295)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Local Open Space
The Plestor. Situated between St. Mary's Church and The Street. Ground given to villagers in 1270 by Sir Adam De Gurdon a former Lord of the Manor. Scene of yearly Summer Fair until end of the C.18.     C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 740 337
1616 70
Village Pound (Site)
Grange Farm Cottage. No trace remains.     N. P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 736 339
1616 82
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Tithe Barn
Grange Farm. The Court Leet and Court Baron of Selborne held here from mediaeval times until 1925 when copyhold tenure was abolished. President and Bursar of Magdalen College, Oxford, came once a year to hold Manorial Courts in Great Tithe Barn.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 737 339
1616 81
Cottages (6)
Fishers Buildings, Gracious Street. Former poor- house, famous in economic history when sacked by the 'Selborne Mob' in 1830. Ref: 1. A Selborne Handbook, (Scott). Ref: 2. Gilbert White and his Selborne, (Rye). Ref: 3. Trouble at Selborne, (Sunderland).     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 736 338
1616 16
Building
The Wakes Museum. Famous as the home of Gilbert White and now endowed as a memorial to the Father of English Natural History. Also houses the Oates Memorial Library, formed in memory of Captain Oates, who gave his life for his fellow members of Captain Scott's Antartic Expedition.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 740 336
1616 04
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 293) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 293) Next page (Volume 6, Page 295) Next page (Volume 6, Page 295)