Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 297 - Shalden

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 295) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 295) Next page (Volume 6, Page 298) Next page (Volume 6, Page 298)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group B - Archaeological Sites and Remains
Iron Age
Celtic Fields
Shalden Park Wood and Gregorys Wood. Rectangular fields occupying eastern slope, bounded by lynchets and field banks. O.S.A. No. SU74 SW7.     SU 706 424
1617 25
Roman
Coin
Large brass of Commodus found 1905 near Shalden school. Now in Alton Museum. O.S.A. No. SU64 SE9.     SU 697 421
1617 22
Coin and Tile
Bronze coin and fragment of tile found east of the church of St. Peter and St. Paul. Now in Alton Museum. O.S.A. No. SU64 SE14.     SU 695 416
1617 24
Building (Site)
Manor Farm. Local tradition states building with tessellated pavement uncovered here. Finds include coins, tile fragments and flints. O.S.A. No. SU64 SE4. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 1, p.346. Ref: 2. P.H.F.C., Vol. 15, 1941-3, p.246. Ref: 3. P.H.F.C., Vol. 18, 1951-3, p.137. Ref: 4. P.H.F.C., Vol. 13, 1935-7, p.294.     SU 692 419
1617 21
Post Norman
Church (Site)
The old church of Shalden which stood a few feet to the south of present Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. Now part of the graveyard. O.S.A. No. SU64 SE13. Ref: V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.103.     SU 693 416
1617 23
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Old Travelway
Green Lane. Crossing the eastern boundary of the parish into Froyle and formerly part of Holybourne parish.     SU 713 423
1617 20
Old Travelway
Stancombe Lane. With Green Lane forms part of old road described in the C.18 as from Stancombe to Shoreditch'. Neither place can now be identified.     SU 697 420
1617 19
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Farmhouse
C.17
Aylesfield Farm, Froyle Road. 2 storeys. Brickwork in English bond, with plinth and band. Half-hipped clay tile roof with centre chimney. Iron lattice casement windows.     SU 712 432
1617 09
House
C.17
Greenmount Cottage. 2 storeys. Timber- framed with plinth and painted brick infilling. Half-hipped clay tile roof. Casement windows. Restored.     SU 695 419
1617 05
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 295) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 295) Next page (Volume 6, Page 298) Next page (Volume 6, Page 298)