Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 309 - Steep

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 308) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 308) Next page (Volume 6, Page 311) Next page (Volume 6, Page 311)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Memorial Stone
Dedicated to Edward Thomas the poet, situated on Shoulder of Mutton Hill. The memorial marks a superb viewpoint much favoured by the poet when he lived at Berryfield Cottage. The original location of the sarsen stone is not sure, but a contemporary report of the unveiling says Wiltshire, this is likely as the poet has special links with the county. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 17, Part 3, Hampshire Writers, (Wilkinson).     T. & C.P. Act
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
C.O.S.
SU 739 269
2313 37
House
Hillcroft, Church Road. Occupied by T. Sturge Moore, poet, critic, and wood engraver, between 1919 and 1927. Commemorative plaque on front wall, though wrongly dated.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 739 253
2313 30
House
C.20
Ashford Chace. Built 1912 for A. B. R. Trevor- Battye, explorer and naturalist, later occupied by First Lord Horder. Early C.20 romantic. Gatehouse to courtyard converted from 1820 barn. Important gardens, originally incorporating those of Old Ashford Manor and Berryfield Cottage, laid out by Triggs. Author of formal Gardens in England and Scotland 1901-2, Architects W.F. Unsworth and H. Inigo Triggs. Ref: The Edward Thomas Country, 1978, (Whiteman), pp.24, 26.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 740 264
2313 51
Mill Ponds
Ashford Mill Ponds. Probably of mediaeval date. Buildings demolished early C.20. The fall of water from the lower pond is still visible. Centred on grid reference. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 3, p.78. Ref: 2. Steep Rates List from 1707.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 741 260
2313 29
Fulling Mill (Site of)
Oakhurst Farm, Steep. Site identified by remains of dam, and field names. Ref: 1. V.C. H., Vol. 3, p. 78. Ref: 2. Survey of Manor of East Meon, 1647.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 744 258
2313 42
Old Toll House
Bowyers Cottage. On the Sheet - Farnham Road, turnpiked in 1825. The toll gate was sited to catch traffic on old road from Petersfield via Harrow Lane and the ford at Kettlebrook, and on the highway from Sheet.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 762 260
2313 48
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 308) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 308) Next page (Volume 6, Page 311) Next page (Volume 6, Page 311)