Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 327 - Worldham

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 326) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 326) Next page (Volume 6, Page 329) Next page (Volume 6, Page 329)

The parish of Worldham lies about two and a half miles south east of Alton. Its lofty situation gives it fine views both to Alton, towards the Surrey hills, and the Sussex Downs.

East Worldham church dates from the twelfth century, though it was restored in 1865. Inside the church on the south wall there is an effigy thought to represent Phillipa, wife of Geoffrey Chaucer, whose son Thomas was Lord of the Manor from 1418 to 1434. To the south east of the village is the isolated King John's Hill on whose summit King John had one of his hunting lodges.

The small church at West Worldham also dates back to Norman times. The east window is in the perpendicular style and the timber porch is fifteenth century.

Also included in the parish is the lost village of Hartley Mauditt. The church has a beautiful south doorway constructed about 1190. The chancel was built in the early thirteenth century and contains a number of memorials with interesting heraldry. The font is fifteenth century.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Worldham.

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 326) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 326) Next page (Volume 6, Page 329) Next page (Volume 6, Page 329)