Hampshire Treasures

Volume 6 ( East Hampshire)

Page 329 - Worldham

Previous page (Volume 6, Page 327) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 327) Next page (Volume 6, Page 330) Next page (Volume 6, Page 330)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group A - Natural Features
View
Public Footpath No. 25 on 1975 diverted route along top of Worldham/Warners Hanger.     SU 749 372
1621 26
Site of Ecological Interest
Candovers Farm Pit. Rare exposure of the fossiliferous malmstone, Upper Greensand, Lower Cretaceous.     N.P. Act
S.S.S.I.
SU 752 359
1621 30
Trees
Binswood Common. Several different species standing in the area centred on grid reference.     T. P. O. No. 1
E. H. D. C.
SU 765 371
1621 31
Area of Scenic Beauty
Part of the East Hants area of natural beauty. Includes the Wick Hill Hanger which is an attractive wooded area.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 757 355
1621 32
Group B - Archaeological Sites and Remains
Bronze Age
Bowl Barrow (Remains)
Littlewood Copse. Heavily overgrown. Ploughed out on south side. O.S.A. No. SU73 NW19.     SU 737 367
1621 23
Roman
Building (Site)
St. Marys Churchyard. Square hypocaust tiles and fragments of flue tiles found 1945. O.S.A. No. SU73 NE24. Ref: 1. Farnham Herald 14.9.45. Ref: 2. Annual Report Curtis Museum, Alton, 1945. Ref: 3. Alice Holt Forest; its history and Romano-British Potteries, (Wade).     SU 750 381
1621 25
Post Norman
Occupation Site
King Johns Hill. Flat-topped, with steep slopes, heavily wooded and in thick undergrowth. Iron Age settlement site and traditional site of mediaeval hunting lodge and later buildings. O.S.A. No. SU73 NE4. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 14, 1938-40, p.398.     S.A.M. No. 322
SU 755 377
1621 22
Mediaeval Village (Site)
West or Little Worldham. Belonged to Hamble Priory, bought 1414 by Winchester College. In 1428 had less than 10 tenants. Hundred = Alton. Ref: V.C.H., Vol. 2, pp.471, 508, 521-3.     SU 743 370
1621 29
Mediaeval Village Site
Hartley Mauditt. Classed as village in 1316 and from the late C.14 property of the Duchy of Lancaster. Village street, now minor metailed road, ran from Jeffries Farm to Hartley Pond. Sites of about ten cottages indicated by slight platforms. O.S.A. No. SU73 NW30. Ref: 1. Lost villages of England, 1954, (Beresford), pp.274, 353. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 2, pp.508-10.     S.A.M. No. 167
SU 742 362
1621 24
Previous page (Volume 6, Page 327) Previous page (Volume 6, Page 327) Next page (Volume 6, Page 330) Next page (Volume 6, Page 330)