Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 5 - Battins

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 3) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 3) Next page (Volume 7, Page 7) Next page (Volume 7, Page 7)

Battins takes its name from Battins Copse and includes Stockheath Common which was part of the Commons of Havant until the mid nineteenth century. It then became the property of W.H. Stone, Lord of the Manor of Leigh Park on condition that he kept it in good condition for use as a public recreation ground.

Also included in this area are Leigh Park Gardens, once the grounds of Leigh Park House. These gardens include many fine examples of trees and plants and are now open to the public. The first Leigh Park House was demolished in 1863 and the second in 1959. A few buildings remain, including the shell of the octagonal library.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Battins.

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 3) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 3) Next page (Volume 7, Page 7) Next page (Volume 7, Page 7)