Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 17 - Bedhampton

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 16) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 16) Next page (Volume 7, Page 19) Next page (Volume 7, Page 19)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
The Towers, Portsdown Hill Road. A circular brick pavilion standing in the grounds of the above property.     SU 693 064
1102 15
Wall
Manor House garden wall on east side of Edward Gardens facing Bidbury Recreation Ground and St. Thomas'churchyard. Possibly C. 16. Ref: Directory of Hampshire (1878), (White), p.140.     C.A.
SU 702 064
1102 12
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Horse Troughs (2)
Junction of Bidbury Lane with Kings Croft Lane. Made of cast iron with stone set in wall. Bearing inscription 'Public Drinking Troughs erected by the Portsmouth Water Company, 1888'.     SU 704 063
1102 43
WelI
St. Chads Well, east of Kings Croft Lane. Once known for its 'health-giving virtues'. Dedication possibly of mediaeval origin.     SU 706 064
1102 34
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Building (Site)
North side of Bedhampton Road near junction with New Road. Site of first toll house.     SU 707 065
1102 40
Building (Site)
South side of Bedhampton Road, adjacent to Brunswick House (now demolished). Site of Second toll house which fell into disuse in 1866.     SU 706 065
1102 41
Building (Site)
Bidbury Lane. Site of Old Poor House in field adjacent to road. Foundations probably in situ.     SU 703 063
1102 39
Vaults
Portsdown Hill Road. Bricklined vaults or cellars cut into chalk quarry. Probably associated with 'The Crown' public house.     SU 697 064
1102 35
Village Pond (Site)
Eastern end of Lower Road. Slightly raised square area still visible.     C.A.
SU 701 062
1102 42
Previous page (Volume 7, Page 16) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 16) Next page (Volume 7, Page 19) Next page (Volume 7, Page 19)