Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 29 - Emsworth

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 27) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 27) Next page (Volume 7, Page 31) Next page (Volume 7, Page 31)

The town of Emsworth lies on the border of Hampshire and Sussex. It is situated on Chichester harbour and was, in its early history, an important port for the area. Up to the nineteenth century it was famous for its oyster fishing fleet. The older part of the town around the square and the harbour has some lovely old houses and still retains the atmosphere of the past.

Warblington is believed to have been founded by the Saxons in the fifth or sixth century but all that now remains of the village is the parish church and the castle ruins. The tower of the church has two Saxon archways, the nave is thirteenth century and the wooden porch, fourteenth century. All that remains of Warblington Castle is a single turret and part of the gateway. This can only be viewed from a distance as it is now unsafe. It was a fortified manor house built between 1513 and 1526 and was dismantled by the parliamentary forces during the Civil War.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Emsworth.

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 27) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 27) Next page (Volume 7, Page 31) Next page (Volume 7, Page 31)