Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 40 - Emsworth

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 39) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 39) Next page (Volume 7, Page 41) Next page (Volume 7, Page 41)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Stable Block
Holmwood Mews, No. 28, King Street. Painted brick. Hipped slate roof. Projecting centre portion with gable over and roundheaded loft door.     C.A.
SU 751 055
1109 47
Water Mill
The Mill, Queen Street. 3 storeys and attic. Red brick walls. Tiled roof. Multi-paned windows. One of the last working water mills in Hampshire - in use until the 1960s. Ref: 1. Tour Through England and Wales (Defoe), p.135. Ref: 2. P.H.F.C., Vol. 25, 1968.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 751 057
1109 35
House
C.19
No. 1, Queen Street. 2 storeys. Red brick with grey headers. Tiled roof. Brick eaves cornice. Semi-circular doorstep.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 751 057
1109 13
Building
C.19
No. 3, Queen Street. 2 storeys. Modillion eaves cornice. Hipped tiled roof. Three windows with glazing bars missing. Modern shop window in south western half.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 750 057
1109 191
Inn
C.19
Lord Raglan, No. 35, Queen Street. 2 storeys. Faced with rough flints with yellow brick window dressings, quoins and modillion eaves cornice. Hipped tiled roof. An interesting building at the eastern entrance to Emsworth.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 751 057
1109 27
House
C.19
Trentham Cottage, No. 2, Tower Street. 2 storeys. Stuccoed walls. Slate roof. Circular first floor window with octagonal divisions.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 750 056
1109 48
House
C.19
Trentham House, No. 4, Tower Street. 2 storeys. Stuccoed walls. Eaves cornice. Slate roof. Regency bay windows and wrought iron balconies.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 750 056
1109 50
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Public Open Space
Conigar Point. Named from Coney rabbit and locally nicknamed 'The Bunnies'. Centred on grid reference.     N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 737 052
1109 08
Public Open Space
St. Peters Square ('The Square'). Centre of the town and probably the original site of the market and fair granted to the Lord of the Manor in 1239. The market lapsed in the C.18 and the fair lasted until the C.19. Stocks, pillory and village pump were sited here.     C.A.
SU 749 057
1109 53
Pond
The Tidal Mill Pond. Taken over by old Warblington U.D.C. in the 1920s. The embankment has been turned into a promenade.     C.A.
SU 748 055
1109 61
Previous page (Volume 7, Page 39) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 39) Next page (Volume 7, Page 41) Next page (Volume 7, Page 41)