Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 59 - Hayling East

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 58) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 58) Next page (Volume 7, Page 61) Next page (Volume 7, Page 61)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Pillar Box
Church Farmhouse, St. Peter's Road. Victorian pillar box set in wall.     SU 731 032
1104 121
Garden of Primrose Cottage, St. Peter's Road. Lead pumphead bears date 1782.     SU 731 033
1104 116
Garden of Church Farmhouse, St. Peter's Road.     SU 732 032
1104 120
WelI (Remains)
Sunnyfields, St. Peter's Road. Modern well-head marks site of old well.     SU 731 031
1104 126
Sea Front Road. North of Coastguard Station on Beachlands. Inscribed 'Havant 51/2miles, London 71 miles'.     SZ 726 997
1104 175
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Salterns Quay, Salterns Lane. C.18 thatched cottage incorporated into present structure (1930). Probably associated with saltworks and also home of 'Gold-keeper', when attempts were made to filter gold from sea water in the C.19. Heavy oak door of massive proportions, possibly old church door. Later additions incorporates mast of Norwegian Pilot Cutter 'Viking', dismantled 1928.     N.P. Act
SZ 735 993
1104 168
Hollybush, No. 30, Selsmore Road. Former home of C.1 9 journalist and social reformer W. Stead, who was editor of 'Pall Mall', 'Gazette' and 'Review of Reviews'. He was lost in the Titanic disaster April 1912.     SZ 725 991
1104 144
Brickyard (Site)
Tournerbury. Clay pits and kiln sites of C. 18 brickyard still visible. Centred on grid reference.     N.P. Act
SZ 733 995
1104 160
Brickyard (Site)
Gutner Lane. Used for manufacture of clamp bricks from local clay. Marked on 1782 chart. Site now built over. Centred on grid reference.     SU 734 022
1104 161
Previous page (Volume 7, Page 58) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 58) Next page (Volume 7, Page 61) Next page (Volume 7, Page 61)