Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 77 - Hayling West

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 76) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 76) Next page (Volume 7, Page 79) Next page (Volume 7, Page 79)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Street Pattern
Sections of South Road. Originally known as Commercial Road on 1879 O.S. Maps. Various examples of C.19 buildings, forming attractive street Pattern.     SZ 717 994
1105 66
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Brickyard (Site)
St. Catherine's Road, South Hayling. Producing clamp bricks from local clay. Site now built over. Centred on grid reference.     SZ 705 994
1105 163
Brickyard (Site)
C.19
Copse Lane, North Hayling. Site now built over. Centred on grid reference.     SU 724 019
1105 164
Building
C.19
Former Life Boat House, Sea Front. Built 1865, but recently much altered. First lifeboat launched from here, 'The Olive Leaf'. New lifeboat house built 1913 at Eastoke. Ref: R.N.L.I., No. 29a, Castle Street, Salisbury.     SZ 705 998
1105 74
Building
C.20
Somerleyton, Sea Front Road. Site of world famous British Mosquito Control Institute and former home of J. F. Marshall, its founder, who built and equipped an eleven roomed laboratory here, for control and research of mosquitoes. Now a private residence.     SZ 717 989
1105 143
Building
C.20
Seacourt Tennis Club, Victoria Avenue. Built 1910 and one of the last Royal Tennis Courts to be built in the world. Game originated in France in C.12, known as Court Tennis in U.S.A. Played within four walls on elaborately constructed court, with penthouse, side galleries and lines on floor known as 'Chases'. Ref: Article, 'Game of Kings', 19.4.56, (The Field).     SZ 717 989
1105 149
Brick Works
Pycroft's. Still producing bricks by the clamp method in the summer months. The bricks are multi-coloured facings, with a strong blue/brown/yellow colouring. The brick earth is obtained from local sources. The works represent almost a museum of brickmaking not only because of the methods employed, but also because the equipment has come from other brickworks which have closed down.     SU 718 032
1105 343
Previous page (Volume 7, Page 76) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 76) Next page (Volume 7, Page 79) Next page (Volume 7, Page 79)