Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 84 - Purbrook

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 83) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 83) Next page (Volume 7, Page 85) Next page (Volume 7, Page 85)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Farmhouse
C.17
Dairy Farm, No. 104, Stakes Road. 2 storeys refronted with cement. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Gabled porch. Surrounded by attractive garden with many fine trees.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 682 077
1107 05
Church
C.19
St John the Baptist, London Road. Flint structure. Steep roof sweeping over nave and aisle. Low square flanking tower with pyramid cap. Lych gate erected as war memorial in 1919. Ref: 1 A Short History of St. John the Baptist Church (Maber). Ref: 2. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.472.     SU 673 080
1107 16
House
C.19
No. 27, London Road. 2 storeys. Red brick structure. Tiled roof. Modillion cornice and parapet. Two panelled doors.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 673 081
1107 11
Cottage
C.19
No. 30, London Road. 2 storeys. Stuccoed walls. Brick modillion eaves cornice. Hipped tiled roof.     SU 673 079
1107 01
House
C.19
Purbrook House, No. 33, London Road. 3storeys,white brick structure. Modillion eaves cornice and parapet. Semi-circular porch, ground floor used as offices.     T. & C. P. Act
SU 673 082
1107 03
House
C.19
Purbrook Park House, Park Avenue. 2 storeys. Brick structure. Parapet. Slate roof. Original doors and shuttered windows. Stone-flagged cellar. Ionic portico rising through both storeys. Built by Squire Deverell in 1838.     SU 676 072
1107 19
Plaque
Stone plaque on parapet of bridge over River Purr at London Road. Commemorates the widening of the London Road in 1791.     SU 672 078
1107 21
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Recreation Ground
Purbrook Heath. Cricket ground, tennis courts and gardens flanked by Purbrook Heath Road which follows the course of Roman Road No. 421.     SU 668 078
1107 23
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Cottages
Nos. 1-4, Old Van Diemens Road, off Stakes Road. Cottages built by Van Diemen, after returning from exploration of Australia, as almshouses for old people. Erected by Dutch prisoners from Portchester Castle.     SU 674 080
1107 15
Previous page (Volume 7, Page 83) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 83) Next page (Volume 7, Page 85) Next page (Volume 7, Page 85)