Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 87 - St Faiths

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 85) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 85) Next page (Volume 7, Page 89) Next page (Volume 7, Page 89)

Traces of Roman occupation have been found here. The main reason for a settlement was the abundance of fresh water springs in the area. The centre of Havant was destroyed by fire in 1760 and the only remaining half timbered house with projecting upper storey is the public house 'The Old House at Home' in South Street. The Church of St. Faith's was built, or rebuilt, about 1150 and the tower and nave were rebuilt in the nineteenth century. There are also some attractive Georgian buildings in the area.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for St Faiths.

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 85) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 85) Next page (Volume 7, Page 89) Next page (Volume 7, Page 89)