Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 108 - St Faiths

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 107) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 107) Next page (Volume 7, Page 109) Next page (Volume 7, Page 109)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
The Prince of Wales, on the corner of West Street and Staunton Road. 2 storeys with slate roof. Walls on ground floor are of green glazed bricks, first floor is cement rendered with moulded decoration. The windows on the ground floor are of sand blasted glass, the first floor has bay and sash windows. The exterior and windows of the Public House are as they were built circa. 1870.     SU 709 064
1113 245
Buiding
C.20
Pumping Station, Brockhampton Road. Fine large red brick building of good proportions and bearing date 1925. Interesting C.19 lodges and warehouse survive from earlier buildings of Portsmouth Water Company.     SU 710 063
1113 179
Farmhouse
Warblington Castle Farmhouse, Church Lane. Has the appearance of being a C.17 house, but it is probably part of the castle, having very thick walls. Half-hipped tiled roof, with gable ends. Casement windows. C.19 gabled white brick porch. Ref: Hundred of Bosmere, (Longcroft).     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 729 053
1113 03
Farm Building
Warblington Castle Farm Barn. Unusually large L-shaped barn. Fronted with tarred weather boarding. Thatched roof, partly replaced by corrugated iron. Probably C.19, possibly of earlier date.     C.A.
S.A.M. No. 445
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 728 054
1113 03A
Castle (Remains)
Warblington Castle. Large moated house built between 1514 and 1526 on site of older building. Reduced to ruins during the Civil War, with only the octagonal turret of the gatehouse remaining, consisting of tall red brick structure with stone quoins and string course. Portion of red brick wall to the west and wide pointed stone arch. Remains of moat. O.S.A. No. SU70 NW9. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 3, pp.134-6. Ref: 2. P.H.F.C., Vol. 18, 1954, pp.286-8. Ref: 3. Field Archaeology as Illustrated in Hampshire, 1915, pp.279-80, 337, 416 and Plan. Ref: 4. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner & Lloyd), p.641.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
S.A.M. No. 92
N.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 729 055
1113 02
Building
Nos. 16, 17 and 18, High Street, Langstone. One building, 2 storeys. Stuccoed walls. Tiled roof. Front has appearance of C. 18 building, but other features including timbering in rear gable, suggest an earlier date. Believed to have been centre of recusant (illegal Roman catholicism) activity in the area.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
N. P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 719 049
1113 132
Previous page (Volume 7, Page 107) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 107) Next page (Volume 7, Page 109) Next page (Volume 7, Page 109)