Hampshire Treasures

Volume 7 ( Havant)

Page 109 - St Faiths

Previous page (Volume 7, Page 108) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 108) Next page (Volume 7, Page 110) Next page (Volume 7, Page 110)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Cottages
Homewell. A pleasant group of C. 1 9 cottages. 2 storeys, with tiled roofs. Well preserved frontage and pleasing to the view.     C.A.
SU 717 062
1113 144
Building
Shop/showroom, No. 16, Park Road South. Large brick structure with half-hipped tiled roof and two gabled dormer windows. C.18 or earlier. Formerly a barn or similar building. In C.19, formed part of Samuel Clarke's steam mill.     SU 715 062
1113 173
Building
Formerly Clarke's Brewery, South Street. Brick structure. Tiled roof. One or two painted names e.g. 'Malt Room' remain. Now used by motor and electrical engineers.     C.A.
SU 718 061
1113 155
Cottage
Hall Place Cottage, No. 18A, South Street. 2 storeys. Red brick walls. Hipped tiled roof. South frontage of C.16/17 brick. Street elevation refaced in the C.19. Used as offices since 1975.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 717 061
1113 137
House
No. 7, West Street. Early C.19 front to an earlier house. 2 storeys and attic. Stuccoed with eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Four windows, two dormer windows. Doorway in moulded architrave surround with an enriched frieze, pediment and 4-panelled door. West side - red brick and stone rubble with wide chimney breast and two string courses.     T. & C. P. Act
C.A.
SU 716 062
1113 242
Ceiling
No. 15, West Street. Fine example of hand painted ceiling (circa 1900) in first floor room of shoe shop. Main area has centre motif of roses and leaves, triple border of stylised leaves and an interlocking fret pattern. This building along with its neighbour (No 17) were probably built as a pair of cottages in the mid C.19.     C.A.
SU 716 062
1113 162
Building
No. 68, West Street. Cottage converted into shop. 2 storeys and attics. Brick structure. Tiled roof. Front elevation early C.19. Timber-framing visible internally and wattle and daub panels of circa 1500 found during alterations 1976.     SU 715 063
1113 174
Tombstones
St. Thomas a Becket churchyard. Many fine memorials showing cherubs, urns and ships and a tombstone depicting H.M.S. Torbay burning in Portsmouth Harbour in 1758. Ref: Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner & Lloyd), p.641.     C.A.
N. P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 729 054
1113 01C
Previous page (Volume 7, Page 108) Previous page (Volume 7, Page 108) Next page (Volume 7, Page 110) Next page (Volume 7, Page 110)