Hampshire Treasures

Volume 8 ( Test Valley North)

Page 21 - Andover

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 20) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 20) Next page (Volume 8, Page 23) Next page (Volume 8, Page 23)

13 miles north-west of Winchester, Andover today is a town of about 30,700 people. The town has been in continuous habitation since Saxon times and was granted its first charter in 1175 by King Henry II.

Throughout its history it has been situated on important lines of communication; the ancient Harrow Way passed just north of the town, coaches on the Exeter route stopped here and during the railway age there were stations on north-south and east-west lines.

A planning agreement signed in 1961 with the London County Council has nearly doubled the town's population and brought many new firms to the industrial estates.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Andover.

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 20) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 20) Next page (Volume 8, Page 23) Next page (Volume 8, Page 23)