Hampshire Treasures

Volume 8 ( Test Valley North)

Page 43 - Andover

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 42) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 42) Next page (Volume 8, Page 44) Next page (Volume 8, Page 44)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.19
Nos. 31 and 33. Tall regular 2-storey facade. Hipped slate roof with wide eaves on coupled carved brackets. Red brick walls, rubbed flat arches, stone sills and plinth. Oval carriageway arch to east side. Victorian sashes in reveals. Tall entrance with half columns, panelled door with fanlight, stone steps. Above doorway is a rectangular panel with Royal Coat of Arms, over this a tablet with sundial and date 1846. Tall narrow doorway at extreme west side.     SU 365 453
0303 108
Building
C.19
Nos. 41 and 41A. Formerly Savoy Mansions. 3 storeys. Low pitched hipped slate roof. Red brick structure with rubbed flat arches, stone sills. Sashes in reveals. Identical wooden doorcases at each side, arched entrances with panelled reveals, panelled doors, decorative fanlight to No. 41A.     SU 366 453
0303 109
Marlborough Street
House
C.19
No. 1. 2 storeys. Slate roof. Red brick walls, blue brick band at first floor, rubbed flat arches. Sashes in reveals. Plain doorway with panelled door.     SU 364 457
0303 113
Church
C.19
St. Mary's. Built over part of the site of the demolished mediaeval church. Early English style. Nave and aisles of six bays, aisles extended a bay each side of tower. Slate roof. Knapped flint walls, with Caen stone dressings. Coupled lancet windows in aisles and clerestory. Tower has corner octagonal pinnacles. Two Jacobean wall tombs of 1611 and 1621 inside. Plain octagonal font. O.S.A. No. SU34 NE4. Ref: 1. Buildings of England; Hants. and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), pp.79-80. Ref: 2. Story of St. Mary's Church at Andover, (Bennett).     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 365 457
0303 03
Steps and Forecourt
St. Mary's Church. The church stands higher than the mediaeval building and the position of the former nave is marked by a series of steps from the street to the west door, flanked by forecourt walls. Piers remain on either side of the entrance and at the north end, stone with gables, chamfered corners and stepped moulding to base. The walls have flint base, upper part stonework pierced with a regular series of lancet openings and a weathering cap which steps upward to meet the piers. Easternmost pier is now missing.     C.A.
SU 364 457
0303 110
Previous page (Volume 8, Page 42) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 42) Next page (Volume 8, Page 44) Next page (Volume 8, Page 44)