Hampshire Treasures

Volume 8 ( Test Valley North)

Page 46 - Andover

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 45) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 45) Next page (Volume 8, Page 47) Next page (Volume 8, Page 47)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Inn
C.18
Lamb Inn, Winchester Street. 2 storeys. Colourwashed brick structure. Half-hipped old tile roof with central stack. Core of building circa 1600.     SU 365 452
0304 03
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Lamp Standard
High Street. Jubilee Lamp dated 1887 commemorating the Golden Jubilee. Cast iron structure with square pedestal supporting a slender fluted column, entwined by a dolphin. Complex of classical mouldings and cross-bar at the top. Modern Victorian-style light.     SU 364 455
0303 94
Open Space
Common Acre. Narrow strip of land bounded by trees; visual and environmental value.     SU 368 457
0303 62
Village Green
Enham. Attractive green dating from C.16 with cottages and trees.     SU 367 490
0301 29
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Battle Site
Mead Hedges. Old Salisbury-London Road. Site of Civil War 'skirmish', 1644, between Waller and a Royalist Vanguard.     SU 354 447
0302 14
Almshouses
Acre Almshouses. First mentioned in the Charity Chamberlain's accounts for 1647. In a report of the Charity Commissioners 1825, the houses are described as 'four tenements built by the Corporation of Andover for poor widows'. The present Almshouses are of modern appearance, a tablet is inscribed 'Rebuilt 1869'. O.S.A. No. SU34 NE6. Ref: 1. Notes on the History fo St. John's House, 1921, (Bennett), p.12. Ref: 2. Extracts from the 14th Report of the Charity Commissioners, 1825, (1836), p.21.     SU 366 456
0303 77
Previous page (Volume 8, Page 45) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 45) Next page (Volume 8, Page 47) Next page (Volume 8, Page 47)