Hampshire Treasures

Volume 8 ( Test Valley North)

Page 119 - Linkenholt

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 117) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 117) Next page (Volume 8, Page 121) Next page (Volume 8, Page 121)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group B - Archaeological Sites and Remains
Bronze Age
Barrow (Site)
Ruwan Beorh, the 'Rugged Barrow' occurs as a boundary here in the Hurstbourne Tarrant Charter of AD.961. There is no longer any evidence of a barrow, but it was probably in the area of the grid reference given. O.S.A. No. SU35 NE12. Ref: Arch. J., Vol. 83, 1926, pp.154 and 156.     A.O.N.B.
SU 380 594
1713 04
Earthwork
Grim's Ditch. A bi-vallate earthwork of late Bronze Age ranch boundary type. Well preserved and covered in dense undergrowth, encloses an area of sixteen square miles. O.S.A. No. SU35 NE8. Ref: Buildings of England; Hampshire and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.330.     A.O.N.B.
SU 373 564
1713 02
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church
C.19
St. Peter. Rebuilt in 1871, contains a Norman doorway, window and font from the old church, the north wall of the nave is original Norman work. O.S.A. No. SU35 NE5.     T. & C.P. Act
A.O.N.B.
SU 363 580
1713 01
Building
C.19
The Old School. Built in 1881, using materials from the old church. Flint and brick structure with woodwork in the same pattern as the church woodwork, with Shepherd's Crowns over the window arch. Consists of one room and a porch. Used as a school until 1938.     A.O.N.B.
SU 363 580
1713 05
Manor House
C.20
The Manor. 3 storeys, red tiled roof with dormers. Red brick structure, tile hung on upper storeys. Central porch with stone pilasters supporting a lead hood. The house consists of forty two rooms and was built in 1907, incorporating the earliest form of double glazing. Ballroom added to the rear of the house in 1935.     A.O.N.B.
SU 361 581
1713 06
Previous page (Volume 8, Page 117) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 117) Next page (Volume 8, Page 121) Next page (Volume 8, Page 121)