Hampshire Treasures

Volume 8 ( Test Valley North)

Page 199 - Stockbridge

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 197) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 197) Next page (Volume 8, Page 200) Next page (Volume 8, Page 200)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group A - Natural Features
Tree
Prunus situated outside the Town Hall close to the High Street.     C.A.
SU 354 351
2526 55
Tree
Yew situated at the corner of the churchyard on the north side of the High Street.     C.A.
SU 355 351
2526 56
Tree
Prunus situated outside the Waggon and Horses public house, on the south side of the High Street.     C.A.
SU 356 350
2526 57
Tree
The Old Rectory. A weeping ash situated in the walled garden.     C.A.
SU 356 351
2526 58
Tree
New Street. A single yew tree, retained and incorporated into new development.     C.A.
SU 358 350
2526 59
Tree
To the south of The Vine public house, a young walnut tree.     SU 358 348
2526 60
Trees
To the east of former railway line, now a road, a group of prunus.     SU 358 348
2526 61
Trees
Manor Farmhouse. A yew and an acacia in the garden.     SU 358 349
2526 62
Tree
White Hart Hotel. A large walnut situated in the rear garden.     C.A.
SU 359 350
2526 63
Trees
St. Peter's Church. A group of trees consisting of two sycamore, a yew and an avenue of limes, in the churchyard.     C.A.
SU 359 350
2526 65
Tree
Seven Gables. An ash in the garden.     C.A.
SU 360 350
2526 66
Trees
Fine group of beech, situated on woodland bank to the east of London Road.     SU 360 353
2526 67
Tree
The Milsons. Large mature yew tree in front of houses.     SU 368 346
2526 68
Trees
Stockbridge Down. Three belts of trees at grid references given.     Interim Order No. 4
SU 372 458
2526 83
Marsh
The Common Marsh, of about 80 acres, lies to the south of the High Street. It was granted to the Lords of the Manor in Charters of 1190 and 1200. The area is used for pasturing of cattle belonging to the Burgesses of Stockbridge. There is a swimming pool area in the fresh water to the north-west of the marsh. The grid reference given locates the approximate central point. The marsh is now owned by the National Trust. Ref: A Short History of Stockbridge.     SU 354 353
2526 52
Previous page (Volume 8, Page 197) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 197) Next page (Volume 8, Page 200) Next page (Volume 8, Page 200)