Hampshire Treasures

Volume 8 ( Test Valley North)

Page 202 - Stockbridge

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 201) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 201) Next page (Volume 8, Page 203) Next page (Volume 8, Page 203)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church and Churchyard
C.12
Ancient Church of St. Peter. Built in C.12 incorporating part of an earlier Saxon chapel, mentioned in the Domesday Book. Not a parish church, but a field-chapel. The church was closed when the new St. Peter's was built in 1866, but it was not entirely demolished, and this remaining portion was renovated and re-sanctified in1963. The altar is a C.17 oak communion table. Painted on the walls are two Royal ciphers, one dated 1588. The original C.12 oak, studded door with strap hinges and ring handle is fixed onto the south interior wall. The churchyard is surrounded by an old low flint and stone wall. It contains many fine tomb stones and has been planted with lime trees. Ref: 1. A Short History of Stockbridge and its Churches. Ref: 2. Buildings of England; Hampshire and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.612.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 359 350
2526 43
Cottage
C.17
Sandydown Cottage. To the north of Fair View Farm on opposite side of the road. Large detached 2-storey cottage facing north. Possibly originally two or three cottgaes. Thatched roof, brought down low on west and south sides. Brick and flint structure, mainly colourwashed white. Renovated.     SU 372 358
2526 48
House
C.17
Touchwood, High Street. 2 storeys with attic, old tiled roof, interesting exterior chimney-stack on west side. End wall brick, showing small bricked-up window. Colourwashed front with five windows including added bay window.     C.A.
SU 354 351
2526 05
Cottage
C.17
A thatched cottage end on to the road, facing south. Gable end wall to the road has twelve rows of interesting shaped hanging tiles. Building colourwashed white. Modern windows. Wooden plank door.     SU 360 351
2526 47
Cottages
C.17
Group of cottages and garage, London Road. Long old tiled roof, hipped at south end. 2- storey building, walls of upper storey tile-hung interspaced by small casement windows and timber-framing. Colourwashed brick and flint lower storey. Porches tile-hung. Portion of building at south end used as a garage. Cottage at north end recently restored and new bow-fronted ground floor window inserted.     SU 360 350
2526 46
Previous page (Volume 8, Page 201) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 201) Next page (Volume 8, Page 203) Next page (Volume 8, Page 203)