Hampshire Treasures

Volume 8 ( Test Valley North)

Page 207 - Stockbridge

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 206) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 206) Next page (Volume 8, Page 208) Next page (Volume 8, Page 208)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Building
C.18/19
Bridge House and two shops, High Street. Tiled roof, later dentil frieze below eaves. Four upper bay windows, one blind window. Upper part of Bridge House has a Victorian Memorial tablet in terra-cotta dated 1897 with 'C.K. Fry' below.     C.A.
SU 354 350
2526 09
House
C.19
Trafalgar House, High Street. 3-storeyed Regency House. Hipped slate roof. Colour-washed front. Two dormer windows, two interesting bow-fronted bay windows on ground floor. Central door within porch. The rear of this house and Hero Cottage next door have interesting old tile roof lines, suggesting that Trafalgar House was built onto a much earlier structure.     C.A.
SU 358 350
2526 35
Cottages (2)
Kendall and adjoining cottage, High Street. Colourwashed brick front, with slate-hung roof hipped at east end. Flint and brick east wall. Modern windows and doors.     C.A.
SU 357 351
2526 27
House
C.19
The Old Rectory, High Street. Large detached, 2-storey house with fine old tiled roof, two chimney stacks. Three sash windows on south, upper, front and two bay windows and central door on ground floor. Standing in its own walled garden. Although named The Old Rectory it was a privately owned house and did not belong to the church. Ref: Short History of Stockbridge and its Churches.     C.A.
SU 356 351
2526 19
Hotel
C.19
Grosvenor Hotel, High Street. Prominent yellow brick building. Twelve sash windows to main building with central fan-light window. Important shaped portico supported by four Doric columns with room above, having three sash windows on shaped front and two blind at side. Fanlight above central door. Two arch-shaped brickwork recesses form another feature to the frontage. Adjacent to the main building is an east wing known as The Market Room, 2 storeys with slate roof. Arched brick-work recesses either side of central doorway. Upper storey tile-hung, sash windows. Lintel over door reads 'Market Room' in relief. The Hotel is the headquarters of the famed Houghton Fishing Club and was once owned by Tom Cannon the racehorse owner and trainer.     C.A.
SU 356 351
2526 18
Church
C.19
St. Peter, High Street. Old tiled roof, flint building, some windows from the old church. Building completed July 1866, tower and spire added in 1887, spire recently re-tiled. Church fronted by low flat wall an wrought iron gates. Ref: Buildings of England; Hampshire and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.612.     C.A.
SU 355 351
2526 16
Previous page (Volume 8, Page 206) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 206) Next page (Volume 8, Page 208) Next page (Volume 8, Page 208)