Hampshire Treasures

Volume 8 ( Test Valley North)

Page 237 - Vernham Dean

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 236) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 236) Next page (Volume 8, Page 238) Next page (Volume 8, Page 238)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Cottage
Fair View, Vernham Street. L-shape with later brick addition. Single storey and half dormers. Exposed timber-work in gable towards road. Front facade of flint rubble.     A.O.N.B.
SU 349 573
1725 29
Farmhouse
Littledown House Farm. L-shaped flint and brick structure. Slate roof, buttressed on one side, hipped on other side. Probably Georgian.     A.O.N.B.
SU 348 581
1725 38
Farm Buildings
Upton Manor. Picturesque range flanking main entrance drive. Flint with brick dressings, weatherboarded, tiled and partly thatched. Mostly modern, restored or rebuilt.     A.O.N.B.
SU 357 558
1725 50
Cottage
The Old Cottage, Upton. Restored. Flint rubble with brick dressings. Long thatched roof with small dormers.     A.O.N.B.
SU 359 551
1725 46
Barn
College Farm, Upton. Large weatherboarded structure with centre hipped waggon entrance and thatched roof. L-shape with single storey wing bordering road,.     A.O.N.B.
SU 359 551
1725 47
Cottage
Heartsease Cottage, Vernham Street. Single storey with two half dormers. Flint rubble with brick dressing. Timber-framing exposed in end gables. Thatched roof.     A.O.N.B.
SU 349 575
1725 30
Garden Wall
Haydown. A flint and chalk/clay wall, topped with pitched tiles (formerly thatched), fronting the garden of the bungalow to Upton Road.     A.O.N.B.
SU 342 565
1725 83
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Boundary Mark
Goudyses Gate. Ancient boundary point where the roads to Conholt and Hippenscombe enter Wiltshire. Mentioned in a perambulation of A. D.1410 under various names, Goudysea Gate, Goudesgate, Godwynsgate and Goodwyngate (possibly a reference to the Saxon Earl of Wessex). O.S.A. No. SU34 NW8. Ref: P.H.F.C., Vol. 9, pp.267-8.     A.O.N.B.
SU 331 564
1725 68
Boundary Stone
North-east side of Upton Road. About 90 m north west of public footpath No. 19. 2 ft. tall 1 ft. wide and 6 ins. thick with a curved top. Presumed to have been moved from original site at Vernham Dean/ Hurstbourne Tarrant Boundary.     A.O.N.B.
SU 353 552
1725 75
Previous page (Volume 8, Page 236) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 236) Next page (Volume 8, Page 238) Next page (Volume 8, Page 238)