Hampshire Treasures

Volume 8 ( Test Valley North)

Page 242 - Wherwell

Previous page (Volume 8, Page 241) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 241) Next page (Volume 8, Page 243) Next page (Volume 8, Page 243)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Roman
Villa (Site)
North of Fullerton Manor. The villa had been constructed of wood, built C.3/4, it consisted of a main block with double corridor and projecting wings either end. Three of the main rooms had been tesselated, but only one mosaic remained relatively undamaged, this was removed to the Manor House. The villa was found to overlay a Neolithic site. The site has now been filled in. O.S.A. No. SU34 SE18. Ref: 1. Hampshire Chronicle 21.6.30 (Andrews), p.11. Ref: 2. Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 12, p.39; Vol. 21, p.242; Vol. 54, p.174; Vol. 55, p.217.     SU 374 400
1726 58
Romano-British
Enclosure
South of Nettlebank Copse. A square enclosure revealed by air-photography. Many sherds, oyster shells, pot boilers and half a plain bronze bangle have been found in the area. O.S.A. No. SU33 NW12. Ref: Wessex from the Air, (Crawford and Keiller), p.248.     SU 335 387
1726 65
Post Norman
Abbey (Site)
Wherwell Abbey. A Benedictine Nunnery founded circa 986 and dissolved in 1539. The site now occupied by The Priory. Nothing remains of the Abbey above ground, but during drainage work in 1962 stone and flint rubble foundations were found under the lawn to the east of the house. The probable extent of the site is marked by a stream diverted during the time of the Abbess Euphemia, 1226-57. A stone in the garden wall of The Priory dated 1649 records that buried here are the last ruins of the ' Monoftery of Whorwell, erected by Queen Ethelrea'. O.S.A. No. SU34 SE19. Ref: 1. Mediaeval Religious Houses, (Knowles and Hadcock), pp.220 and 355. Ref: 2 .V.C.H., Vol. 2, pp.132-7.     C.A.
SU 391 407
1726 59
Coffin Lids
The Priory. Two mediaeval coffin lids inside The Priory wall.     C.A.
SU 391 407
1726 111
Settlement (Site)
Church Street. Wooden posts and post holes of houses approximately 500 years old, located during laying of drainage scheme in 1962. Also found were some pieces of dressed stone carved with scrolls, possibly from the old church or Abbey. Some further stone work found under the river indicated the site of a ford.     C.A.
SU 391 408
1726 117
Previous page (Volume 8, Page 241) Previous page (Volume 8, Page 241) Next page (Volume 8, Page 243) Next page (Volume 8, Page 243)