Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 10 - Ashley

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 9) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 9) Next page (Volume 9, Page 11) Next page (Volume 9, Page 11)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church
C.12
St. Mary the Virgin. Originally built of flint with chalk dressings and rendered with lime mortar. The nave was lengthened in C.13, and extra windows inserted in C.14, small wall painting in internal join of one of the windows still remains. The squints in the west wall of the chancel were formed in C.16/17. Extensively rebuilt in C.19/20. Church is now redundant, but restored in 1981.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 385 309
2502 01
Cottage
C.15
Little Thatches. 2 storeys, timber-framed with colour-washed brick infilling. The centre section is a C.15 cruck framed open hall, C.16 crosswing and C.17 additions. Irregular casement windows. Modern additions to one end, including Well House.     SU 384 310
2502 02
House
C.15
The Old Manor. 2-storeys, timber-framed and brick structure with tile and slate roof, casement and sash windows. Originally a 3-bay open hall with internal jettied chamber. Crosswing added in C.16 with open hall, chamber and semi-sunken dairy with parlour above. C.17/18 brick refronting and alterations. Second crosswing added in C.19/20.     SU 383 310
2502 10
Cottage
C.16/17
Ashley Cottage. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with brick and flint and cob infilling. Thatched roof. Four casement and modern cartwheel windows.     SU 383 311
2502 03
Well-head
C.17
Opposite Ashley Cottage. Four wood pillars supporting straw-thatched roof. Winding gear in situ. Dated 1616.     SU 382 311
2502 09
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 9) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 9) Next page (Volume 9, Page 11) Next page (Volume 9, Page 11)