Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 11 - Bossington

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 10) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 10) Next page (Volume 9, Page 13) Next page (Volume 9, Page 13)

Located a mile west of King's Somborne at the confluence of the Wallop Brook and the River Test, the tiny hamlet of Bossington consists of 645 hectares and a population of less than 60. Bossington is situated on the west bank of the main river, just north of the ford where the Roman road from Winchester to Old Sarum crossed three streams. In the far north-west of the parish is a tumulus known as Beech Barrow which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. There are many pleasant walks, both in the water meadows along the river and on the chalk hills which rise to the west. The track of the old railway between Romsey and Stockbridge can be followed along the eastern edge of the parish. Amongst the buildings of interest are Pittleworth Farmhouse, which has Elizabethan wall paintings dated 1580, and Bossington House which dates from 1834: the parish church of St. James was rebuilt in 1839.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Bossington.

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 10) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 10) Next page (Volume 9, Page 13) Next page (Volume 9, Page 13)