Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 21 - Broughton

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 19) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 19) Next page (Volume 9, Page 23) Next page (Volume 9, Page 23)

Four miles south-west of Stockbridge and immediately west of Houghton lies the parish of Broughton, covering 1,399 hectares, and having a population of 915 in 1981. The attractive village of Broughton lies in the centre of the parish, which is mainly agricultural; the Wallop Brook flows through the parish to join the River Test in the east, and the stream runs parallel to the main street through the village. In the far north of the parish the land slopes up to a wooded mound known as Chattis Hill which is not far from Danebury Hill: there are tumuli near Chattis Hill and also in the south of the parish. The church of St. Mary has architectural features dating from the C.13 and a dovecote in the churchyard reputedly given by Richard III. The Baptist Chapel was founded in 1655, which is very early for a non-conformist church.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Broughton.

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 19) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 19) Next page (Volume 9, Page 23) Next page (Volume 9, Page 23)