Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 65 - King's Somborne

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 64) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 64) Next page (Volume 9, Page 66) Next page (Volume 9, Page 66)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Manor House (Site)
John of Gaunt's Palace, now called Palace Farm. Fragments of flint walling still visible. Two massive parallel banks west of the site - purpose unknown. O.S.A. No. SU33 SE7. Ref: 1. Field Archaeology as Illustrated by Hampshire, 1915, (Williams-Freeman), p.226. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 4, pp.470-2.     S.A.M. No. 290
C.A.
SU 360 309
2512 43
Park Pale (Remains)
John of Gaunt's Deer Park. Encloses a large area roughly equally divided between a chalk hill on the east, and the flood-plain of the River Test on the west. Where best preserved the pale consists of a gravel bank with outer ditch. Boundary mounds are planted with yew trees. O.S.A .No. SU33 SE10. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 4, pp.469-70. Ref: 2. Field Archaeology as Illustrated by Hampshire, 1915, (Williams-Freeman), pp.224-6.     S.A.M. No. 524
SU 349 314
2512 58
Deserted Village Site
Upper Eldon. In 1428 the parish had fewer than ten households. The manor of Upper Eldon was first mentioned in 1167. O.S.A. No. SU32 NE13. Ref: 1. The Lost Villages of England, (Beresford), p.352. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 4, pp.438-9, 470, 477, 479-80.     SU 365 278
2512 69
Deserted Village Site
Compton. Ancient mediaeval site. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 1, p. 499. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 4, p.p. 470, 475-6.     SU 349 291
2512 73
Mound
St. Peter and St. Paul's Churchyard. Steep-sided, somewhat flat-topped circular mound. Purpose unknown, but may have been an archery butt. O.S.A. No. SU33 SE9. Ref: 1. V.C.H., Vol. 4, (1911), p.470. Ref: 2. Field Archaeology as Illustrated by Hampshire, 1915, (Williams-Freeman), p.226.     C.A.
SU 360 309
2512 57
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
Church (Disused)
C.12
St. John the Baptist, Upper Eldon. Small flint structure, pebble-dashed with stone dressings. The east wall rebuilt in brick. Old tiled roof. Contemporary lancet windows. O.S.A. No. SU32 NE13. Ref: 1. Lost Villages of England, (Beresford), p.352. Ref: 2. Buildings of England; Hampshire and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.632.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 364 278
2512 13
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 64) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 64) Next page (Volume 9, Page 66) Next page (Volume 9, Page 66)