Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 71 - King's Somborne

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 70) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 70) Next page (Volume 9, Page 73) Next page (Volume 9, Page 73)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Cart Sheds (2)
Well proportioned brick buildings. The shed within the yard has circular brick columns with added brick butresses supporting the roof. Shed to the rear of the farm has oval brick columns.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 365 334
2512 78
Stables
Smaller scale plain brick building with tiled roof and hay loft.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 365 334
2512 79
House
Yew Tree Cottage. 2 storeys, flint with red and yellow brick, horizontal and vertical bands. Casement windows. Small circular window with coloured glass on first floor.     SU 357 309
2512 83
School
Primary School, Romsey Road. Single storey, slate roof. Flint with red brick quoins and window dressings. Road facade has two angular bay windows with flat roofs.     SU 359 309
2512 81
House
The White House, Winchester Road. 2 storeys, white-painted brick, tile roof. Sash windows. Panelled door in arched surround.     C.A.
SU 362 310
2512 82
Cottage
Hoopers Farm Cottage. Colour-washed brick, tiled roof. Four small bow windows. Rear wall flint and brick.     SU 354 324
2512 16
Lock
Part of the Andover to Redbridge Canal opened in 1794. Some of the canal buildings remain behind the Railway Hotel at Horsebridge.     S.A.M. No. H.532 (Lock only)
SU 347 307
2512 60
Memorial
C.20
East of Hoplands and close to the Roman Road. Stone dedicated to 'Four Unknown German Airmen', dated August 4th 1940.     SU 386 299
2512 64
Memorial
C.20
Luke Copse. Stone seat dedicated to the memory of Colonel Firbanks who died in 1957.     SU 382 293
2512 63
Memorial
C.20
War Memorial on Village Green designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Tall white column, shaped into a cross at the top.     C.A.
SU 360 310
2512 84
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Manor House (Site)
John of Gaunt's Palace. South of the church. In 1362 the manor passed to the wife of John of Gaunt, then in 1399 to the Crown. Described in 1591 as a 'verey fayer and ancient house'. Tradition says the present building is on the site of the stables. O.S.A. No. SU33 SE7.     S.A.M. No. 290
C.A.
SU 360 308
2512 43
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 70) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 70) Next page (Volume 9, Page 73) Next page (Volume 9, Page 73)