Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 76 - Little Somborne

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 75) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 75) Next page (Volume 9, Page 77) Next page (Volume 9, Page 77)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
All Saints. The nave of this originally Saxon church was extended eastwards in Norman times. Late Norman south doorway, traces of a blocked north doorway, several altered Norman windows. Probably one of the churches mentioned in Domesday Book. O.S.A. No. SU33 SE15. Ref: 1. Buildings of England; Hampshire and I.O.W., (Pevsner & Lloyd), p.322. Ref: 2. Saxon Architecture and Sculpture in Hants, (Green), pp.21-2.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 382 326
2514 01
Little Somborne Farmhouse. 2 storeys, timber- framed with brick infilling. Old tile half-hipped roof carried down to first floor level on north-west front. Four gabled casement window dormers on south-east front. C.19 door with brick porch, flanked by two C.19 angular bay windows.     SU 382 325
2514 06
White Hall. 2 storeys, flint with brick dressings, partly rendered. Tiled roof. Originally two cottages.     SU 389 339
2514 10
Somborne Park. 2 storeys, late C.18 central portion with C.19 additions to either side. Brick structure, slate roof. Central portion has full-height flat segmental bow, containing three very tall sash windows. Fine Regency hall and staircase.     T. & C.P. Act (Cental Portion Only)
SU 383 328
2514 02
Windovers Cottage. 2 storeys, symmetrical facade. Cob walls on flint and brick base. Central chimney. Considerable alterations and additions. Originally two cottages.     SU 375 338
2514 08
Church Cottage. C.19 front to older building. 2 storeys. Brick and flint, south-west front all brick. Old tile hipped roof. Formerly two cottages.     SU 382 326
2514 09
Little Somborne Farm. Weatherboarded structure. The originally thatched roof is now replaced by corrugated iron.     SU 380 326
2514 05
Hill Figure
Woolbury Ring. A small white horse on the outer face of the south rampart, 27 ft. long and constructed of flints from the upper chalk. Local legend states that it commemorates a highwayman's horse. O.S.A. No. SU33 NE22. Ref: 1. Wessex from the Air, 1928, (Crawford and Keiller), pp.154-5. Ref: 2. White Horses and Other Hill Figures, 1949, (Marples), pp.135-6.     SU 381 351
2514 14
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 75) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 75) Next page (Volume 9, Page 77) Next page (Volume 9, Page 77)