Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 77 - Lockerley

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 76) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 76) Next page (Volume 9, Page 79) Next page (Volume 9, Page 79)

Five miles north-west of Romsey and immediately west of Mottisfont, the parish of Lockerley touches the Wiltshire border in the west. The village of Lockerley is very attractive, and is situated on a tributary of the River Test.

The manor was recorded in the Domesday Book as a possession of the Archbishop of York: the name was spelt Locherslei and is associated with a shepherd or keeper. The present church dates from 1889-1890, but the ground plan of the Norman church has been marked out alongside.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Lockerley.

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 76) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 76) Next page (Volume 9, Page 79) Next page (Volume 9, Page 79)