Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 84 - Melchet Park and Plaitford

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 83) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 83) Next page (Volume 9, Page 85) Next page (Volume 9, Page 85)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19/20
Melchet Park. Originally built in 1863 for the second Lord Ashburton, it was damaged by fire and subsequently re-built in 1875-9. Further alterations and additions were made in 1912-14. The house is in Jacobean style built of brick with stone dressings, with square central entrance porch. Now a school. Ref: Buildings of England; Hampshire and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), p.332.     SU 270 220
2517 19
House
Plaitford House. A tall building of 2 storeys and attic. Brick built with an old tile roof. Casement windows. Formerly the Rectory, but only used as such when Plaitford has its own rector from 1871 - 1917. Now an art gallery.     SU 283 204
2517 16
Inn
The Shoe. 2 storeys, timber-framed with white-painted infill. Hipped old tile roof, older rear part of building is thatched. Casement windows with small panes. Long tiled porch.     SU 274 196
2517 11
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Milestone
Reads '11 miles to Salisbury, 11 miles to Southampton'.     SU 277 193
2517 15
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Inn (Site)
Plaitford Wood. An inn called The Green Man once stood here, where villagers could drink home brewed beer and cider.     SU 278 217
2517 17
Inn
The Shoe. Built on the site of the turn-pike, the last keeper J. Cocks, died in 1862, a tablet in Plaitford Church is dedicated to the memory of Mr. Cocks and his wife. The Shoe was also formerly a posting station for the mail coach.     SU 274 196
2517 11A
Clay Pit
The walls of many small cottages in Plaitford were built of clay from this pit. The last time this clay was used was in the 1930's when a hard fire-proof floor for the smithy was laid down. Like many other cottages built by this method the smithy has now been demolished.     SU 279 199
2517 12
Racecourse
Plaitford Common. Part of the common is still known as 'The Racecourse', in June 1848 two flat races and one over hurdles were run there. Ref: Hampshire Magazine, March 1961 (Prior), p.27.     SU 277 192
2517 18
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 83) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 83) Next page (Volume 9, Page 85) Next page (Volume 9, Page 85)