Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 89 - Michelmersh

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 88) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 88) Next page (Volume 9, Page 90) Next page (Volume 9, Page 90)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
Manor Farm House. The nucleus of the farm house is formed by the remains of a mediaeval grange, held by St. Swithins Priory, Winchester from 1205-1539. A late C. 17 range was added to the north side of the mediaeval hall block and was extended to the east and refronted in the mid C.19. The C.13 wing is constructed in flint, rendered over, with stone dressings to all apertures, possibly constructed circa 1205. Ground floor has four lancet windows and two pointed headed doorways. Tiled roof with hipped west end with gablet. The C.17 house is of 2 storeys, brick incorporating some mediaeval masonry, with tiled roof. The C.19 extension and refronting to provide two cottages, has paired sash windows with flanking entrance bays. Doorways have modern gabled porches. An uninhabited area around the farmhouse has been designated as a scheduled ancient monument.     T. & C.P. Act
S.A.M. No. 567
SU 352 263
2518 10
Granary
Old Michelmersh Farm. West of Manor Farmhouse. The largest of its type recorded in Hampshire, 5-bay aisled structure supported on 55 staddle stones. Half hipped, tiled roof. Timber framed and weather boarded. Tier of four boarded doors in west gable and remains of three similar 3-tier arrangement in east gable wall. Roof with braced, Queen-strut tie-beam trusses. An early and rare type of granary, earliest carved date on posts is 1723.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 345 266
2518 25
Farm Buildings
Old Michelmersh Farm. The farmyard is enclosed by a range of buildings including the 5-bay granary described in the previous entry. The remainder include: an 8-bay timber-framed barn, weather boarded with a gabled slate roof with hip-ends and two gabled cart entrances; a brick barn with a slate roof; brick built stables with slate roof; and a timber-framed granary on staddle stones in rear yard. There is also a well, 250 ft. deep and 4 ft. in diameter.     SU 345 266
2518 25A
Cottage
The Old House, Hackupps Lane. 2 storeys, with thatched roof cut around upper windows, and swept over open porch. Brick exterior, although interior has some exposed beams. Casement windows surmounted by brick arches on ground floor level. Modern extensions. Said to have been the Dower House to the Manor of Michelmersh.     SU 344 263
2518 22
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 88) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 88) Next page (Volume 9, Page 90) Next page (Volume 9, Page 90)