Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 90 - Michelmersh

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 89) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 89) Next page (Volume 9, Page 91) Next page (Volume 9, Page 91)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
The Elms, Hackupps Lane. 2 storeys, brick structure with part chalk. Gabled tiled roof. Ground floor has three wooden casement windows surmounted by brick arches, and boarded door under gabled porch. Upper floor has three smaller casement windows with blind window over the doorway.     SU 344 263
2518 23
House
Michelmersh Court. C.18 refronting of an older house. 2 storeys and attic. Steep pitched roof part old tile part slate. Brick with modillioned wood cornice and panelled parapet to entrance front. First floor has two windows to left and tall arched window to right. Ground floor has C.18 rectangular bay with hipped lead roof. Entrance in lattice porch. Formerly the Rectory.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 346 266
2518 03
House
Forge House. 2 storeys, cream colour-washed brick walls. Thatched roof. Casement windows. Modernised, formerly the Smithy.     SU 334 265
2518 17
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Brickworks
Michelmersh Brickworks. Records show that a brickworks existed on the site in 1850. Hand-made bricks are still produced, although during the Second World War wirecut bricks were made at the request of the Government, these can be seen in the houses in Manning Way, Timbsbury. WIrecut production ceased in 1946. The clay, dug at the back of the site is an outcrop of London clay, and Reading beds, sand is added to avoid warping. The four, round, down-draught kilns, (beehive shape) were erected in 1935 and 1946, prior to this Scotch type up draught kilns were used. The heat created in the firing process produces the orange, red, crimson, brown, purple and blue bricks for which Michelmersh hand-made bricks are known.     SU 343 258
2518 26
Mill Dam (Remains)
Remaining part of a C. 13 mediaeval mill dam at the head of Timsbury Lake, it consists of a grass and tree covered bank which forms the south west side of the millpond. Nothing is known of its history.     SU 354 240
2518 14
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 89) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 89) Next page (Volume 9, Page 91) Next page (Volume 9, Page 91)