Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 91 - Mottisfont

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 90) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 90) Next page (Volume 9, Page 93) Next page (Volume 9, Page 93)

Situated four miles north-west of Romsey, the parish of Mottisfont occupies a delightful position on the right bank of the River Test immediately opposite Michelmersh. Mottisfont village has many attractive houses, the most famous being Mottisfont Abbey.

Founded by William Brywere in 1201 for Augustinian canons, the abbey was acquired by Lord Sandys at the dissolution of the monasteries and the buildings were converted into a Tudor residence. Later, Georgian alterations made the abbey almost unrecognisable, and completed the transformation of the building to a house. The two villages of Mottisfont and Dunbridge are noted for the excellent fishing in the River Test.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Mottisfont.

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 90) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 90) Next page (Volume 9, Page 93) Next page (Volume 9, Page 93)