Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 95 - Mottisfont

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 94) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 94) Next page (Volume 9, Page 96) Next page (Volume 9, Page 96)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House and Stables
C.19
Mottisfont House. Originally the rectory. 3 storeys, rendered. Hipped roof of small slates. 3-bay front, ground floor has recessed central porch with Ionic columns. Older single storey brick built wing with old tile roof and three dormer windows. Stable block faces house, brick built with old tile roof and round topped doors and windows.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 326 268
2519 02
Inn
C.19
The Mill Arms, Dunbridge. 2 storeys, white brick with hipped slate roof. 3-bay front the central bay projects slightly and has pediment head. Central doors in architrave surround. Derives its name from a flour mill which stood nearby which was demolished in 1939.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 318 326
2519 04
Stables
C.19
Mottisfont Abbey. 2-storeyed U-shaped group. Built in red brick with pediment over central block. The side wings have roofs carried out on cantilever principle. The ends of side wings have brick Doric pilasters. Hipped slate roof. Approached by central gate with brick piers and curved flanking walls.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 326 269
2519 14
Entrance Gates
C.19
Mottisfont Abbey. Four square stone piers with moulded capping, the outer pair have ball finials, the inner pair have figures of begging bears with chains. Plain iron bar screens between piers.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 324 269
2519 15
House
Mottisfont Abbey. Originally an Augustinian Priory founded in 1201 and dissolved in 1536. It was granted to William, Lord Sandys who converted it to a country house, thus preserving a considerable amount of the monastic buildings. The present 3-storey red brick house dates from circa 1740. The 3-bay central block with pediment, is flanked by double brick projections, beyond these are stone-built wings with projecting single-storey terraces over the remains of the abbey buildings. The north and east faces of the house preserve the arcading and butressing of the C.13 church. The grounds contain the important National Trust collection of historic roses, and some notable trees, particularly a giant London plane. Now owned by the National Trust and open to the public at certain times of the year. O.S.A. No. SU32 NW6. Ref: 1. Mediaeval Religious Houses, England and Wales, (Knowles and Hadcock), p.146. Ref: 2. V.C.H., Vol. 2, p.172 and Vol. 4, p.503. Ref: 3. Buildings of England, Hampshire and I.O.W., (Pevsner and Lloyd), pp.341-2.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 327 269
2519 13
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 94) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 94) Next page (Volume 9, Page 96) Next page (Volume 9, Page 96)