Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 97 - North Baddesley

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 96) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 96) Next page (Volume 9, Page 99) Next page (Volume 9, Page 99)

Situated three miles east of Romsey between Chilworth and Ampfield, North Baddesley covers 915 hectares and has a population of nearly 6,000. The vast majority of people live in a heavily built-up area in the south-west corner of the parish, which acts as a dormitory village for both Romsey and Southampton. The old village lies to the north, and the manor house incorporates part of the Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers, which was the Hampshire headquarters of the Order after 1365. Reminders of this are found in the local place-names of Zionshill and Knightwood. The parish church is also of mediaeval foundation, and is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, the patron saint of the Knights Hospitallers.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for North Baddesley.

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 96) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 96) Next page (Volume 9, Page 99) Next page (Volume 9, Page 99)