Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 105 - Nursling and Rownhams

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 103) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 103) Next page (Volume 9, Page 106) Next page (Volume 9, Page 106)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Group B - Archaeological Sites and Remains
Iron Age
Hill Fort
Toothill Camp. Occupies an extremely strong position at the north end of a spur. Its defences comprise a single rampart and ditch with traces of a counterscarp bank in places. There is an additional scarp on the north side up to 2.0m in height where the site is weakest. The original entrance is onto the ridge to the south.     S.A.M. No. 48
SU 381 186
2522 08
Celtic Field System
North east corner of Nightingale Wood. Site under dense undergrowth, banks and lynchets up to 1.2m in height but their extent is uncertain. O.S.A. No. SU31 NE15.     SU 379 181
2522 16
Roman
Settlement (Site)
South of Weston Lane railway bridge. Probable dwelling or village site, many pits found in 1880 containing Samian and other pottery, ashes and bones. Site not now visible, partly under pasture, partly old gravel workings. O.S.A. No. SU31 NE20.     SU 364 153
2522 14
Group C - Footpaths, Bridleways and Old Travelways
Travel Way
An ancient road once ran from the New Forest to Winchester and representative parts of it can be traced from the grounds of Grove Place past Upton and along the southern side of Nightingale Wood. Nursling tradition says that this is the road along which the body of William Rufus was taken to Winchester. Ref: A Short History of Nursling (Crawford) pp.26-27.     SU 365 164
2522 20
Post Norman
Enclosure (Site)
Earthworks in the field to the south of Telegraph Wood are probably part of an old woodland enclosure bank. O.S.A. No. SU31 NE47.     SU 380 184
2522 19
House (Site)
Grove Place. The present house was built in 1561, but an earlier house probably dates back to 1344, though the earliest record in Court Rolls is dated 1442. The previous mansion was demolished circa 1613, it stood south west of the present house between the avenue and the railway, a rectangular building platform has been identified, the building was orientated north-south. O.S.A. No. SU31 NE13. Ref: A Short History of Nursling, (Crawford) pp.19-24.     SU 365 166
2522 10
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 103) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 103) Next page (Volume 9, Page 106) Next page (Volume 9, Page 106)