Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 140 - Romsey

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 139) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 139) Next page (Volume 9, Page 141) Next page (Volume 9, Page 141)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Winchester Road
House
C.18
No. 69, Fern Side. Red brick 2-storey building in two parallel ranges, Mansard old tile roof. First floor has central sash window with semi- circular heads and a Palladian window either side. Palladian windows on ground floor with central door in doorcase of Doric pilasters and moulded cornice.     T. & C.P. Act
SU 359 213
1400 151
Inn
C.18
The Bishop Blaize. 2 storeys and attic with two hipped dormers, tile gabled roof, painted brick. First floor has three casement windows. Ground floor has later projection with slate roof, sash windows and central door. Taller single storey extension at east end with slate gabled roof. Plaque dated 1708 on house.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 357 212
1400 209
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Fountain
C.19
Corn Market. Tall rectangular marble block with shaped head, to one side circular marble bowl and trough, on the other side a small basin and waterspout. Given by Lord Mount-Temple in 1886. Basins now used for growing flowers.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 352 211
1400 183
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Abbey
C.12
St. Mary and Ethelflaeda. A noted centre of learning in the Norman and Early English periods. Children of Kings and Noblemen were educated by the Nuns. Romsey's monastic community was dissolved in 1539 but the Abbey was bought by the townspeople in 1544 for 100 and has been used as Romsey's Parish Church ever since. O.S.A. No. SU32 SE5. Ref: 1. Record of Romsey Abbey, (Liveling). Ref: 2. Guide Book to Romsey Abbey. Ref: 3. The Test Valley Official Guide.     T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 351 212
1400 146
House
C.13
King John's House or Hunting Box, Church Court. Built as a palace in 1210 but probably converted into a guest house or infirmary of the Abbey about twelve years later. Used as a billet for soldiers during the Civil War and was Romsey's first workhouse in 1781. Became a private house and given to the town as a museum in 1946. O.S.A. No. SU32 SE4. Ref: 1. King John's House at Romsey, (Andrews). Ref: 2. History of Romsey and its Abbey, (Luce).     S.A.M. No. 131
T. & C.P. Act
C.A.
SU 352 212
1400 147
Previous page (Volume 9, Page 139) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 139) Next page (Volume 9, Page 141) Next page (Volume 9, Page 141)