Hampshire Treasures

Volume 9 ( Test Valley South)

Page 151 - Sherfield English

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 150) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 150) Next page (Volume 9, Page 153) Next page (Volume 9, Page 153)

Situated four miles west of Romsey, the parish of Sherfield English abuts the Wiltshire border in the west and the River Test in the east. The village of Sherfield English lies in the valley of the River Blackwater: the other villages in the parish are Awbridge (pronounced Aybridge), Newtown and Upper and Lower Ratley.

The parish church of St. Leonard was built in 1902-3 by Lady Ashburton in memory of her daughter, the Marchioness of Northampton. The Old Rectory is a dignified Georgian residence, and Sherfield Manor is brick-built with hipped roofs. The house at Awbridge Danes dates from 1825 although it looks older.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Sherfield English.

Previous page (Volume 9, Page 150) Previous page (Volume 9, Page 150) Next page (Volume 9, Page 153) Next page (Volume 9, Page 153)