Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 7 - Fareham

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 6) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 6) Next page (Volume 10, Page 8) Next page (Volume 10, Page 8)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Large amounts of C.13-C.14 medieval pottery found during detailed field survey in 1975, in area around the grid reference given. SMR SU50NE19     SU 593 090
0702 272
Deer Park
Fareham Park. The park has existed at least since the C.13. In 1279 a complaint of park-breaking and deer-stealing was made, and in 1477 there is a record of payment for a hedge around the park. In 1541 the lease of the park was granted to Sir Thomas Wriothesley, it then passes successively to the 2nd and 3rd Earls of Southampton. All that now remains of the park pale is a mutilated fragment about 200 m in length in a copse beside a housing estate. SMR SU50NE1. Ref: VCH Vol. 3, p.212 Ref:2 PHFC pt. 2 1905, p.203.     SU 550 072
0702 114
Salterns Site
Salterns Quay off Salterns Lane. Only the enclosing bank and internal cross banks remain of the former safterns. The area is now a saltmarsh. SMR SU50NE05     SU 580 050
0702 276
Group D - Buildings, Monuments and Engineering Works
The Avenue
Bishopswood. An early C. 1 9 Gothic 'cottage ornee', originally called Blackwood, enlarged early C.20, now the residence of the Bishop of Portsmouth. Two storeys, roughcast facade, thatched roof is extended and supported on columns over the north and east facades to form verandahs. Roof is swept over upper windows forming 'eyebrows'. North facade has windows with Gothic glazing on first floor and windows similar to church windows on ground floor. South front has three curved projections containing large windows. Large C.20 addition to the north joined to the house by a corridor and porch. Entrance to property to north is flanked by gate piers, built of red brick with stone plinths and caps with ball finials. Garden to south has long straight path leading to wooded area.     T&CP Act
SU 567 061
0702 02
Blackbrook Lodge. Stuccoed facade with wide eaves and hipped slate roof. Two storeys, sash windows in boxed frames. Modern central porch.     T&CP Act
SU 566 061
0702 190
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 6) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 6) Next page (Volume 10, Page 8) Next page (Volume 10, Page 8)