Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 24 - Fareham

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 23) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 23) Next page (Volume 10, Page 25) Next page (Volume 10, Page 25)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
House
C.19
No. 1. The Potteries. Two-storey red brick building with hipped slate roof. Sash windows with red rubbed brick window arches. Central panelled door with round arched fanlight.     T&CP Act
SU 579 072
0702 141
Farmhouse
C.16
Dean Farmhouse. A C.16 timber-framed house with later additions. Front elevation has square timber framing with herringbone brickwork infill, and two asymmetrical gables. Two windows on brackets with mullions and transom, small window in each gable, and hipped roof dormer. Central door with small flat hood on brackets. To the west is a lower section, rendered with old tile roof, and casement windows.     T&CP Act
SU 574 083
0702 81
Farmhouse
C.19
Albany Farmhouse. A fine early C.19 Victorian building.     SU 579 090
0702 82
Group E - Street Patterns, Street Furniture and Open Spaces
Street Lamps
C.19
High Street. Ten cast iron lamp standards are spaced along the street, each has a cylindrical plinth bearing date panel 1897 and name of town. From the plinth rises a shaft with a bulbous base with floral bas relief decoration. The shaft has an enriched bank and terminates in cornice with cross arms and a large curved bracket with scrolls now fitted with electric light. The gird reference locates an approximate centre point.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 586 068
0702 208
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
House
Funtley House, Iron Mill Lane. Residence from about 1784 until his death in 1812 of Samuel Jellicoe the partner of Henry Cort of Funtley Iron Mills. Henry Cort was the inventor of the rolling mill and the puddling furnace which were of importance for the production of iron during the Napoleonic Wars. Some of his inventions were tried out at these mills of which little remains other than the mill house.     SU 552 082
0702 281
Tramway
C.20
Bus Depot at Hoeford. Between 1905 and 1929 the north-eastern portion of the depot housed the electric trams of the Gosport and Fareham line. Most of the fan of the track leading into the buildings can still be seen. SMR SU50SE32. Ref: Hampshire Industrial Archaeology (SUIAG) p.28.     SU 579 046
0702 280
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 23) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 23) Next page (Volume 10, Page 25) Next page (Volume 10, Page 25)