Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 25 - Fareham

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 24) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 24) Next page (Volume 10, Page 27) Next page (Volume 10, Page 27)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Railway
The Bishopstoke to Gosport Line, via Fareham. Built by Thomas Brassey, it was scheduled to open on 26th July 1841 but due to problems with landslips in the tunnel the opening was delayed until 7th February 1842. The tunnel today is in two parts with a cutting where the collapse took place. In 1904 a deviation line had been opened to avoid the tunnel, this line is now dismantled. Passenger services on the Fareham to Gosport line ceased on 6th June 1953. The grid references given locate the extent of the discontinued line in Fareham. SMR SU50NE61.     SU 571 062
0702 29
House
No. 21, High Street. Birthplace of Sir John Goss composer of church music and organist at St. Paul's Cathedral for over thirty years.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 582 063
0702 254
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 24) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 24) Next page (Volume 10, Page 27) Next page (Volume 10, Page 27)