Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 40 - Portchester

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 39) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 39) Next page (Volume 10, Page 41) Next page (Volume 10, Page 41)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Church
C.12
St. Mary. Built, circa 1133, inside the walls of the Roman fort, when Henry II founded a small priory of Augustinian canons. The church was restored in 1710 and 1888. Rendered exterior and old tile roof. Four round arched Norman windows to nave, fine Norman west doorway. Short tower with pyramidal roof. A brick and flint wall encloses the churchyard. SMR SU60SW7. Ref: 1 Mediaeval Religious Houses of England and Wales (Knowles and Hadcock) p.150. Ref: 2. Buildings of England, Hants and IOW (Pevnser and Lloyd) pp.382-386.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 625 044
0705 11
House
C.18/19
No. 219, Castle Cottage. Three storeys, painted brick, hipped old tile roof with gable end to street. Sash window on second floor, two-storey angular bay, through ground and first floors. C.19 trellis porch to garden facade.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 623 046
0705 96
Building
C.19
Portchester Community School, originally the Castle Junior School. Built in 1873 under a covenant from the Southwick Estate. Built of red brick with yellow and blue brick dressings and decoration, plain red tile roof. Building is end on to road, two gables to road, three to side of building. Triple stepped round-headed windows rising into gables, carved barge-boards to gables. Square chimney stacks with toothed corners and Fareham pots. Round headed doorway with later porch. Extensions to rear.     SU 618 055
0705 133
House
C.18
No. 88, The White House. Two storeys, painted brick, old tiled half-hipped roof. Sash windows, brick porch with hipped gable on wooden piers.     T&C P Act
SU 620 051
0705 25
House
C.18
No. 94. One and a half storeys, red brick building with old tile roof, two gabled dormers. Sash windows, modern door at side.     T&CP Act
SU 620 051
0705 62
Houses (2)
C.18/19
No. 96, The Walnuts and No. 98, Golden Cott. 0riginaIIy one house. Three storeys, with parapet, roughcast finish, old tiled hipped roof . Sash windows, C.19 angular bay to north side. Central door, entrance to No. 96 at side.     T&CP Act
SU 620 051
0705 26
House
C.18/19
No. 100, The Retreat. Two storeys, rendered with coped parapet, hipped tiled roof. Later C.1 9 bay window. C.1 8 door case with pediment and fluted Ionic pillars. Single storey outshot to north side. First floor canted bay on south side.     T&CP Act
SU 620 051
0705 52
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 39) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 39) Next page (Volume 10, Page 41) Next page (Volume 10, Page 41)