Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 45 - Portchester

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 44) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 44) Next page (Volume 10, Page 47) Next page (Volume 10, Page 47)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Lychgate
C.19
Entrance to St. Mary's Church. Dated 1897, commemorates Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. Wooden lychgate with gabled tile roof. Arched entrance with cornice above and arched side panels. Plaque commemorates reconstruction in 1935, at the time of King George V Jubilee.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 625 045
0705 98
Lamp
C.19
St. Mary's Churchyard. Tall cast iron lamp-standard with fluted column. Square lamp with scroll brackets and finial above.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 645 045
0705 99
Group F - Historical or Literary Associations
Mill Site
Fareham Corn Mill. Mentioned in C.17 documents as the 'Tyde or Sea Mill'. in 1908 the mill was 'an old tarred wooden building at the head of the harbour'. No trace of the mill remains and the mill dam is now crossed by the A27. The mill pond, once a 'wide sheet of water with wooded banks', is now a saltmarsh. SMR SU60NE8. Ref: VCH Vol. III, 1908, p.210.     SU 587 062
0705 123
Building
Windmill on foreshore at Portchester Lake. A stone built tower mill partly demolished, now used as a store. SMR SU60SW33. Ref: Hampshire Industrial Archaeology (SUIAG) p.9.     SU 619 044
0705 122
House
C.18
No. 169, St. Vincent. Owned by Captain Cook who served with Lord Nelson. The house named after the battle of Cape St. Vincent.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 622 047
0705 136
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 44) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 44) Next page (Volume 10, Page 47) Next page (Volume 10, Page 47)