Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 63 - Titchfield

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 62) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 62) Next page (Volume 10, Page 65) Next page (Volume 10, Page 65)

As some of the surviving fabric of the church dates back to the 7th and 8th centuries, it is possible that the area has been inhabited since that time. Titchfield's market was recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086, and the Abbey was founded in 1232 by the Bishop of Winchester. At the Dissolution the Abbey passed to Thomas Wriothesley, who converted the building to a residence. In the 16th and early 17th centuries Titchfield was a prosperous town, rivalling Fareham, but the estuary was drained in 1612 to provide grazing land, and this reduced Titchfield's status as a port. In 1807 Fareham Common was enclosed and cultivated; it is now the residential area of Heathfield.

Please use "Next page" to see Hampshire Treasures entries for Titchfield.

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 62) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 62) Next page (Volume 10, Page 65) Next page (Volume 10, Page 65)