Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 78 - Titchfield

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 77) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 77) Next page (Volume 10, Page 79) Next page (Volume 10, Page 79)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Public House
Fishermans Rest. Two-storey building in two parts angled to the corner junction of Mill Street and Fishers Hill. The northern bay is C.19 red brick, remaining four bays are C.18 red brick with grey headers, all under old tiled hipped roof. On first floor four sash windows with glazing bars and fine wrought iron public house sign. Ground floor has penthouse roof over centre, and painted facade.     T&C P Act
SU 543 066
0707 168
House
C.18/19
Segensworth House. A two and a half-storey house red brick with grey headers. Old tiled roof with end chimneys. Attic window in gable end. Symmetrical fa‡ade with three windows, all modern leaded casements and central door in later brick porch.     T&C P Act
SU 542 071
0707 01
Barn
West of Segensworth House. Low timber-framed barn, the substantial square panel framing has red brick infill, with weather boarding to road fa‡ade. Half-hipped thatched roof.     T&C P Act
SU 541 070
0707 02
Barn
Carron Row Farm. Possibly C.17/18 but could be earlier. A timber-framed barn with red brick infill now rendered white. The end wall has some exposed timber framing, and some wall posts visible in side wall. Vents spaced in the brickwork. The half-hipped roof is now covered with corrugated iron. Interior has tie beams, straight braces and through purlin roof, all timbers morticed and pegged, but wall posts appear to be sawn. Double opposite wagon entrances with flat roofs. Now a farm museum.     T&C P Act
SU 540 068
0707 167
House
Abbey Cottage. A two-storey house with C.16/17 core but extended and remodelled in C.19/20. Built of red brick with plinth, the first floor rendered. Old tiled roof with off centre and end chimneys. Early C.19 casement windows and gabled porch. Now divided into two houses.     T&C P Act
SU 542 067
0707 164
Abbey Remains
Titchfield Abbey. Founded by Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester, in 1232 and occupied by white canons of the Premonstratensian order for 300 years. Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou were married in the Abbey in 1445. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries Henry VIII gave the Abbey to Thomas Wriothesley, who converted it to a mansion known as Place House. The mansion was later owned by the Delme family who abandoned it circa 1780 when they moved to Cams Hal, which they enlarged using building materials from Place House which was largely demolished. The remains now consist mainly of the Gatehouse which has large four-storey castellated turrets flanking a three-storey main part with canted oriel windows on upper floors and four centred archway with original doors on ground floor. The upper part of the west front is built in Tudor brick, consisting of crow-stepped gable and chimneys on octagonal stacks. The best surviving feature of the Abbey is the entrance to the Chapter House, and many C.13 tiles remain in the Cloister and elsewhere. Ref: 1. VCH Vol 3, pp.222-3. Ref: 2. Titchfield, A History (Titchfield History Society) pp.25-31, 77-79. Ref: 3. Buildings of England, Hampshire and IOW (Pevsner and Lloyd) pp.627-629.     SAM 3
SU 541 066
0707 08
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 77) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 77) Next page (Volume 10, Page 79) Next page (Volume 10, Page 79)