Hampshire Treasures

Volume 10 ( Fareham)

Page 81 - Titchfield

Previous page (Volume 10, Page 80) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 80) Next page (Volume 10, Page 82) Next page (Volume 10, Page 82)

Description and DateRemarksProtectionGrid Ref. and
Punchcard No.
Barn
Southern barn at Great Posbrook Farm. A late medieval barn approximately thirty m. long. Weather-boarded with opposite double doors. Very steeply pitched half-hipped roof, now covered with corrugated iron. Interior has massive timbers with tie beams. Queen posts, collars and mostly arched braces.     T&CP Act
SU 355 050
0707 187A
St. Margaret's Lane
House
St. Margaret's Priory. Originally called St. Margarets, - Priory being added circa 1950, - now divided into three houses. The oldest part is the tower and dates from C.16, probably built as a look-out at the time of the threat of a Spanish invasion. The tower is of red brick and five storeys high with high parapet and casement windows. The north-east wing is C.16/17, red brick with old tiled roof and tall chimneys, two storeys with casement windows. The south-west sing, (The Georgian House) is C.18/19 red brick with castellated parapet, three storeys and large sash windows.     T&C P Act
SU 534 061
0707 124
Building
C.16/17
Old Malt House. Small two-storeyed timber-framed buiIding in the garden of the Georgian House. Square panel framing above ground fIoor with red brick fiIIing and oId tiIed roof.     T&CP Act
SU 533 061
0707 126
House
C.18
West HiII Park. OriginaIly buiIt in 1770 by the third Peter Delme and occupied as a private house until opened as a boys' preparatory school in 1920. A square two-storeyed building with stuccoed fa‡ade and hipped slate roof. Sash windows, solid porch with twin Doric columns. South elevation has early C.19 colonnaded verandah on the ground floor, with a storey added over it. Victorian additions to rear.     T&CP Act
SU 532 058
0707 127
South Street
Cottage
No. 5. C.18 rendered facade, probably timber-framed behind facade, old tiled roof. Two storeys and attic with two dorrner windows. Other windows, sash with glazing bars and an early C.19 canted bay window to south side. Central door with flat hood and moulded architrave.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 539 057
0707 82
Cottages (3)
Nos. 7, 9 and 11. Formerly a storehouse belonging to the abbey, made into dwellings about 1550 after the Dissolution. All have old tiled roofs, and brick and plaster facades, No. 11 has exposed timber-framing on first floor, Nos. 7 and 9 have sash windows with glazing bars, No. 7 also has a bowed shop window. No. 11 has casement windows with glazing bars.     T&CP Act
CA
SU 539 057
0707 83
Previous page (Volume 10, Page 80) Previous page (Volume 10, Page 80) Next page (Volume 10, Page 82) Next page (Volume 10, Page 82)